For those of you who don't know me that well, I've been Type I diabetic for 25 years and been on an insulin pump for 17 years. I've had diabetes for so long it doesn't even occur to me that it might be weird that my husband asks me if I feel high, or that it might be strange when I ask a server as a restaurant three times if they are absolutely sure my soda is diet and then make my husband taste test it for me first. Although diabetes is more a lifestyle now more than ever, I do attribute my early discipline in my diabetes to my amazing parents and wonderful Endocrinologist. I feel blessed to have such amazing individuals in my life. I was taught at a very early age that diabetes was my primary responsibility and there was never any excuse or reason not to manage it to the best of my ability. I've never had any "diabetic episodes" (a term I really loath) in my 25 years of having the Big D, and always had A1c's in the 6ish range, well until my pregnancy...but I'll get to that later.
The good news is that because I am pregnant and diabetic, pregabetic as Dave so lovingly calls me, I get to see doctors and specialists very often. During my first trimester I went to my OB every other week, a handful of visits to the perinatologist, in addition to continued weekly visits to my Endocrinologist in town who specializes in pregnant diabetics patients. I'm very grateful for the wonderful care, and have SO enjoyed my Endocrinology team in Santa Barbara.
Something I didn't really anticipate with pregnancy and my diabetes is the immediate danger any blood sugars outside of a normal range (anything over 120) puts my growing baby in. I've been learning that the combination of excess glucose passing through my placenta causes the baby to produce more insulin, which results in low potassium. Potassium helps the heart beat; therefore too many high blood sugars on my end will cause the baby's heart to stop beating. Talk about minute-by-minute anxiety on me right?!?! I'm learning to trust God in all things, and only do the very best I can. I'm proud to announce that my A1c last week was at an all time low, 4.7. Basically an A1C test measures how many A1C hemoglobin cells (a specific part of red blood cells) have sugar attached to them. So an A1c of 4.7 means that my blood sugar average is around 90. I was so excited I almost cried, pregnancy hormones probably didn't help with the tearing up, because it was tangible evidence that my hard work was paying off. Because my body is so insulin resistant throughout my pregnancy, I've sworn off carbs in exchange for normal blood sugars. It's helped out tremendously with blood sugar stabilization and proved to be helpful for my A1c's! I started my pregnancy at a 5.7 A1c and haven't had higher than a 5.1 in the last 2 months. Wohoo!
I’m half way through my second trimester now, and promise to post regular updates on my diabetes and growing belly!
Yea! You are doing a Good Job Katie! Love the Blog - I am sure it will be appreciated by other fellow diabetics in particular, and what a great way to help encourage others! Also I love to hear what my Daughter is going thru!! I am always so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteLove from your Dad!
Kt- what a wonderful way to document your journey as a family and to share your knowledge, joy and day to day victories. You are a model mommy to baby h already. Amazing job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dad!! Glad you like the blog :-)
ReplyDeleteAwe, thanks Sheri. I appreciate it!!
I have no idea what you just said about all the numbers and stuff, but I feel smarter just pretending like I do.
ReplyDeleteNow you just need to find a baby name from the Bible that means "God has given me back the joy of eating carbs" to name her when she's born. :)
Amy you have no idea how much I'm laughing right now. I wish there was a name for her with that meaning!!
ReplyDelete