Sunday, December 6, 2009

All I want for Christmas is sleep!!

I entered the third trimester officially as of yesterday. Yahoo! It's all downhill from here right :-P

On the diabetes front, things are continuing to be a challenge; but I'm trying to remain positive! I have a lot to be thankful for, our baby is continuing to grow and develop healthy and right on schedule. On the nights when I think I might just pull my hair out, Dave kindly reminds me that this soon will be over and we'll have a baby in our arms.

I've been having loads of issues with my needle sites these past couple of weeks. On Tuesday I had to change my needle 4 times over the course of the night. 4 times!! I had a pump alarm that brought me back to my old school Minimed days; a "no delivery" alarm which means that for whatever reason the needle is clogged and cannot deliver any insulin. I vividly remember being in the fifth and sixth grade, and staring at my pump (which was the size of a postcard back then) and trying to give another bolus hoping that I wouldn't hear the dreaded "beep beep beep" of my pump alarming. I hated that alarm. At 4:30am on Tuesday night, I heard that same "beep beep beep" that brought me back to fifth grade. Same feeling in the pit of my stomach too. Luckily my blood sugar was only 129, and I was able to catch it in time, but I do hope that I never have to hear that stupid alarm ever again. I'll take hearing a baby cry any day over that alarm.

I was able to have a nice chat with my Endo last week regarding a potential eviction date for Baby H. She said it's still too early to determine if I can have the highly coveted "ticket to term" from her and her team; but she is confident that it won't be too early. I've consistently had my A1C in the high 4ish range for most of my pregnancy (I think I had a 5.3 at the beginning), and haven't had any sustained highs at all. But even with having an average blood sugar of 90-100 (which is pretty much that of a non-diabetic), she cannot be sure at this point. I do start my NST (non stress tests) in a few weeks and the dreaded amnios as well. However, she reminded me that I do live in America, and can refuse any test I want. Oh and my favorite line, "They can't arrest you for not showing up to an appointment." I like that! I'll see what my peri says at my next visit, but I think my newfound confidence will help Dave and I make the best decision for Baby H.

On a fun note, this week our baby is equal in weight to a Chinese cabbage, has eyelashes, and is almost 15 inches long. Her eyesight is developing, and she can possibly see the light that filters into the womb. She's developing billions of nuerons in her brain, and is adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world WOW!!

2 comments:

  1. Praise God! It sounds like it is all progressing well. And I just totally tried to google how much a Chinese cabbage weighs. Did you know that if you put that in a search that you get a lot of information about cabbage diets? The wave of the future, I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious!! I'm sure it is the wave of the future :-P LOL!

    ReplyDelete